Château de Quérigut

Château de Quérigut

Historic site and monument, Historic patrimony, Castle in Quérigut
  • Château open all year round, access from the post office in Quérigut.

  • The castle appears in documentation in 1208, when the rights of Donezan, which belonged to the King of Aragon, were transferred from the de So family to the Counts of Foix. It is likely that the castle was originally built by the King of Aragon, as was Puyvalador in 1192. Their construction was intended to fix the population around the royal authority, even if in reality it was a châtelain who exercised rights in the king's name. Quérigut castle, of which only the main tower (or keep)...
    The castle appears in documentation in 1208, when the rights of Donezan, which belonged to the King of Aragon, were transferred from the de So family to the Counts of Foix. It is likely that the castle was originally built by the King of Aragon, as was Puyvalador in 1192. Their construction was intended to fix the population around the royal authority, even if in reality it was a châtelain who exercised rights in the king's name. Quérigut castle, of which only the main tower (or keep) remains today, was much larger. As the Franco-Spanish border crossed at the Col des Hares, incursions from both sides led to the ruin of the two strongholds of Quérigut and Puyvalador: looting, fires and various exactions took their toll on the walls. In 1710, it was declared irreparable, and its dismantling was inevitable. Little by little, the villagers reused the materials to build stone houses.
  • Spoken languages
    • French
Close