bassin des Ladres

Bassin des Ladres

Historic site and monument, Historic patrimony, Wash house in Ax-les-Thermes
  • The city's oldest pond

  • Until the mid-18th century, Ax's spa center, or "Barry des Bains", was concentrated around the Bassin des Ladres, with ovens on one side and cannons on the other. In 1241, probably to compensate for fire damage, the Count of Foix granted Ax extensive tax privileges, making the town all the more sought-after and making space within the walls scarce. Ax's water was freely used to wash wool, boil pigs, make soup and treat ailments. Founded in 1260 by Count Roger IV de Foix at the request of...
    Until the mid-18th century, Ax's spa center, or "Barry des Bains", was concentrated around the Bassin des Ladres, with ovens on one side and cannons on the other. In 1241, probably to compensate for fire damage, the Count of Foix granted Ax extensive tax privileges, making the town all the more sought-after and making space within the walls scarce. Ax's water was freely used to wash wool, boil pigs, make soup and treat ailments. Founded in 1260 by Count Roger IV de Foix at the request of Saint Louis, the Ax hospital took in, among others, soldiers returning from the Crusades with leprosy. The basin still bears the name "Ladres" or "Lepers". It was listed as a historic monument in 1979. Today, tourists are quick to dip their feet in the basin, which is said to have relaxing and healing properties.
  • Spoken languages
    • French
Openings
Openings
  • All year 2024
    Open Everyday
Close